Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Heavy Metal...

I’ve always loved all types of music, but not everyone knows that. Most remember that I loved hip hop in the 80’s. I did, but at the same time I loved heavy metal too. Here’s a rundown of what heavy metal I had playing in my Walkman in relative order from jr high through 10th grade.

Judas Priest – Turbo: I know, everyone says they hate this album. But in 7th grade in 1986 it sounded pretty amazing.

Metallica – Master of Puppets: This album pretty much ruled my world for a long time in 1987. I’d listen to it over and over from side A to B, morning noon and night in 8th grade. Seriously, I would listen to this before going to bed at night.

Megadeth – Peace Sells: Another album I was crazy about at the time.

King Diamond – Abigail: Good grief…at the time, early in 9th grade I thought this was the most amazing thing ever. I doubt I could stand 30 seconds of it now.

Anthrax – Among The Living: Another record I was super psyched on for a long time, and I still love it today. I remember telling a friend about it at the time who was just getting into metal “Dude, the one song is like ‘murder murder, commit cold blooded murder!’ it’s insane…” I saw them at Jax a few years ago, still amazing.

Exodus – Pleasures of the Flesh: I had it, I loved it, haven’t heard it in years although I saw them live at Jax a few years ago.

Slayer – Reign In Blood: My friend saw this in my room and asked me “What is that, some kinda death rock or something?”

Testament – The Legacy: In 9th grade I remember hearing “The Haunting” from an older guy in my neighborhood and being hooked immediately. This is the record I was the most psyched about, listening to it daily. One of my favorite heavy metal albums ever, a tie with Master of Puppets. Saw them at Jax, they’re still amazing.

Testament – The New Order: Good, but not as good as The Legacy. Still listened to it over and over. “Disciples of the watch….obeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy!” I always thought the ghostly image on the cover looked like Skeletor.

Metallica – And Justice For All: Along with the Misfits, I listened to this, the last good Metallica record heavily in 1988 in 10th grade.

That was pretty much it for heavy metal for me. I hated Metallica’s Black Album, Anthrax’s new record didn’t sound as good and I just quit paying attention to metal and got deeper into hip hop, especially the Jungle Brothers, Public Enemy and Eric B. & Rakim.

No comments: