Sunday, April 27, 2014

Spaced Out


Five or six years ago I bought a big box of Lego for next to nothing. So I started out building what I would have made as a kid had I had the assortment and quantity of bricks I'm able to have as an adult. So I built a space ship. I brought it out to get some pictures of it. 

The front
The rear engines

The interior is fully detailed and the roof comes of in pieces revealing different areas for play. Growing up on Star Wars playsets, I really wanted a that playset feel to this. It's also how I built with Lego as a child. 
The cockpit / pilot area. Growing up especially on the old  Lego space sets, I'm very font of using lots of printed plates.

A view of the cockpit heading down the arched hallway.

I designed these computer areas by looking at lots of old government type computer centers. They're pretty fascinating as the computer (which was usually very large) was kind of built right into the utilitarian desk.

This area has some basic seating for passengers a few storage areas, another larger computer desk, and a simple desk with cabinets.

The back area of the ship.


Close up of one of the ship computers. Several different types of lego cables and hoses are strung along and through the walls to give it a work in progress feel.

Detail of cockpit. The style of the hallway was carried through the rest of the ship. Most of the ship was designed to be symmetrical, but occasionally I'd add or remove something to break up the monotony, like the one alert light on the right hand side.

Detail of work desk and cabinet in third area of ship. Well call them parts bins, overhead in the cabinets.

A small computer and a large display. The idea with the display was that it a giant MapQuest screen.

A pachy stowaway makes himself useful at the Craftsman work bench.

Making space for the stowaway in an unused area of storage space, Elephant Head spends his spare time listening to vinyl records.

Hallway view from back to front.

The entrance to the captain's bunk, which is actually about twice as wide as it appears here.

The engine area.

Each of the four panels can be individually lowered for access tot he engine.

Fuel area.

Various storage areas on the outside.

I tried to use at least a few old school, classic space printed bricks.


No comments: